Permaculture Teaching Matters (PTM) is an international teacher training course offered in English and organised by La Bolina Regeneration Project and facilitated by Alfred Decker and Candela Vargas. The course will be available to PDC holders from any country.
PTM is designed for those who want to teach based on Rosemary Morrow’s participatory learning methods. The course will help participants to:
- Change the way they think about education.
- Move towards a permaculture teaching career.
- Empower others with life-changing skills.
- Learn to pass on knowledge of permaculture theory and practice in ways that creates real change in your students, and activates entire communities.
- Make connections with an international community of permaculture teachers.
- Gain skills in working with students from different cultures and backgrounds.
When and where
The PTM course will take place from December 8-15, 2018, at the facilities of La Bolina restoration project in Saleres, a beautiful little village in the depths of the “Valle de Lecrin” in Granada. La Bolina is an association that works for the integration of refugees and migrants in rural environments, through the creation of sustainable livelihoods based on agroecology, permaculture and sustainable commerce.
Begins: Dinner on the night of December 8th.
Ends: Certificate ceremony on the night of December 15th, followed by optional dinner, party and “No Talent Show”. There will be an optional breakfast available the next morning.
PTM Teaching Team
Alfred’s passion in life has been ecological and social justice activism, of which permaculture has played a central part. Since his first PDC in 1998 in California, Alfred has been involved with social movements and projects throughout Europe and the Americas. He is the founder of the 12 Principles Permaculture Design consultancy, Permacultura Barcelona and the Forest Gardens project at Can Masdeu; was a member of the European Permaculture Teachers Partnership and the Permaculture Council of Europe; and holds a post graduate diploma in sustainable architecture and renewable energy (Centre for Alternative Technology). After a PTM training, he undertook a two year mentorship and later co-taught six courses with Rosemary, ultimately earning a diploma in Permaculture Education & Community Development in 2013 through her organisation Blue Mountains Permaculture Institute in Australia. He also co-edited the PTM Manual and organised a successful PTM crowdfunding campaign. Alfred has taught widely throughout Europe and currently lives on a smallholding in the Montnegre i el Corredor Natural Park north of Barcelona, Spain, where he is creating a permaculture demonstration site and educational project called Can Comú.
Candela has been wanting to understand the mechanisms of life since an early age. Therefore she studied Biology at the University of Granada. She became a passionate activist and fighted for Climate Justice in Cop 15 when she moved to Denmark where she has been living for 8 years. In this country she studied a masters in Nature Management and completed a thesis on Forest Gardens Design and Implementation. She is cofounders of FFIRN (Food Forest International Research Network), has being a member of the board of Permaculture Denmark for 5 years, a LAND advisor, a volunteer coordinator at a pioneer urban garden in Copenhagen, Byhaven 2200 and involved in many other projects as Seed Pop Up, Gift circle, and many Environmental / Cultural collectives. Candela has been teaching permaculture in Denmark, Sweden, Iceland and Spain. In Italy she enjoyed with Rowe and Alfred a great PTM course that reinforced her teaching skills and got her teaching PTM courses with Alfred.
She loves gathering wild foods, doing acroyoga, and singing her Permaculture songs.
This course is for…
PDC holders in any of the following fields: teachers and students of architecture, landscape design, school/community gardeners, local government community development officers, ecology and other disciplines including geography, regenerative agriculture and agroforestry as well as permaculture design. If you’re looking to do any type of sustainability or permaculture education/communication, this is the course you’ve been waiting for. In addition, this course will have a special focus on permaculture for refugees and migrants.
You will learn how to:
- Design a short or a long course
- Develop clear course outcomes and ethics
- Adopt appropriate body behaviour and use nonviolent communication
- Prepare learning resources and use teaching aids effectively
- Organise classroom and learning environments
- Work with a broad range of people from different cultures and backgrounds
- Draw on strategies that promote thinking and integrate practical experience
- Deliver clear explanations and concepts
- Explain the structure and function of the Permaculture Design Course
- Give engaging digital presentations
- Debrief, appraise, and apply other teaching techniques
- Work collaboratively in groups
- Practice teaching in a safe, supportive community of peers
We require all students to have completed a PDC (anywhere in the world) before the course starting date.
PTM Fees and accommodation
The price for the course is (600€).
Your fees include:
- A life-changing learning experience
- Digital resources
- A Permaculture Teaching Matters Certificate
- A new generation of permaculture teachers and doers for you to join!
- Three healthy vegetarian meals a day and accommodation in shared bedrooms
- Space for bringing your own tent and camp.
- A free copy of Permaculture Magazine
- Option to buy Rosemary’s Earth User’s Guide to Teaching Permaculture at a 30% discount from the publisher. Books may be ordered with registration. An invaluable friend to the experienced and novice teacher alike
- Option to buy a copy of Rosemary’s PTM Manual at the cost of printing (available for free download here)
Y también estamos preparando un Curso de Formación de Profesores en permacultura (modalidad Permaculture Teaching Matters de Rosemary) del 9 al 16 de Febrero en Castellón y será impartido en español.
We are also preparing a Teacher Training Course in Permaculture (Permaculture Teaching Matters by Rosemary) from 9th to 16th of February in Castellón and will be taught in Spanish.
And others Permaculture Teaching Matters will come soon.